Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Progress Reports

    So it is 4 1/2 weeks into the school year which means...
 PROGRESS REPORTS! 
 Whoop whoop! 
   I start the year off talking to my kiddos about whose responsibility it is to keep their parents informed of their learning. It IS their own responsibility or at least that is what I believe. Anyway I also promise them I will not run behind them and call their parents if they are failing or not completing work. I have done neither. I recently bumped into a parent in the Wally World and she asked how her student was doing. I joked about her student being a little talkative, and how I enjoyed having the student in my class but looked directly at the student and did not mention grades. I have spoken to my whole class weekly about "it's their learning", "their responsibility", and "their work". Now, it is time to pay the piper, so to speak. I will see by the number of phone calls of to why the parents didn't know the student was failing, as to whether my lesson on responsibility is sinking in. I could just go on and on... 

    Just curious, how do you handle the work responsibility? Do you chase after missing assignments, call parents, beg and plead, or do you simply let the cards fall where they may?

 That is All, V

BTW The reports are due tomorrow!


2 comments:

  1. I've been doing a little bit of both this year. They are 8th graders but there are IEP needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete